I'm am in no way an expert on GroupWise but I recently encountered a problem that I was able to resolve. It has to do with the SOAP protocol and GroupWise.

I installed the Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack and when I tried to sync my test devices some of my POAs started unloading. I have 8 POAs, 1 on a Netware 6.5 server and 7 on Windows 2003 R2 servers. Each of my POAs are sitting at version 8.0.2.

Once I finished the NDSMP installation I added my own account into both the groupwise and mobility connectors to run tests. As soon as I tried to sync my iPhone with the NDSMP server the Post Office that my account sits in unloaded its POA. It took me some time and research but I finally figured out what was causing the problem.

NDSMP uses a protocol called SOAP to talk between the groupwise connector and the GroupWise domain. From there, it seems, the domain uses the SOAP protocol to talk back and forth between the other POs. Well, when we enabled the SOAP protocol on our POAs we gave them all the defualt port, 7191. This is what caused the problem. Each SOAP port has to be set to a different port number. I kept my first POA at 7191 and then went up from there, 7192...7193...7194...7195...and so on. I then tested the port by trying to make a telnet connection with it by using the following command;

telnet POAserverIP 7191

POAserverIP is the IP address POA's server.

At first I could not make the connection but once I stopped and restarted each of my POA services the connection worked. This is the message I received;

HTTP/1.0 500
Date: Tues, 21 Feb 2010 20:22:40 GMT
Server: Windows GroupWise POA 8.0.2
Content-Type: text/html
Pragma: no-cache

Connection to host lost

I ran this same test to each of my POAs IP address and specific SOAP port number and the connection worked every time. Once I confirmed this connection was working I went back to my test accounts and they each worked perfectly.

Hopefully this information will help someone out there.