The situation:
I just brought my first OES2 server online creating a mixed 6.5/OES2 environment.
I seem to be having name resolution problems....

My users drives are not mapping to the new OES2 server (mls-marketing) producing 8884 errors...
If I manually browse to the mls-marketing server and rerun the login script.... the mappings work fine.
Using IP addresses in place of the login script works.

I have the new mls-marketing server (OES2) setup as a DA
I have an old server mls_communications (nw6.5) setup as a DA

My communications environment is both IP and IPX.
I am not giving out SLP info to clients via DHCP....

What I did yesterday:
I modified the NW6.5 server's slp.conf file to have the DA of the OES2 DA. I modified the OES2 server's slp.conf file to have the nw6.5 server's DA. After doing so.... they still didn't seem to be able to see each others information. Neither had the other listed.

This morning they both have each others information...

Question: Is their a time lag for the DAs registering with each other?
Question: Why didn't the OES2 DA have edirectory information for the other servers? (it holds a RW replica)?
Question: Since my clients aren't receiving SLP info via DHCP... how do they know about the DAs? ( I can do an slpinfo /a... and they give out a DA).
Question: Do I need SLP at all. Even with going to a straight IP environment... couldn't one just list their tree with an authoritative DNS server? Then wouldn't the client query DNS for IP addresses.

Finally.... is the problem perhaps an edirectory issue instead of an SLP issue? If my clients can get to a tree via DNS or SAP (still running spx on some boxes and all clients).. shouldn't the new OES2's server be listed by IP address...

Thanks in advance...
A very confused...

Joe Collins
Information Services Manager
M. Lee Smith Publishers