We are heavy users of LUM profiles here on our campus. We utilize them for many different tasks.

We are now at the point where we have a moderate amount of users inside of our eDirectory system. Our alumni are allowed to retain their accounts indefinitely for authentication and e-mail purposes.

It seems to me that back in the day, the Linux kernel (or some services) could not recognize UIDs higher than 65,535. I see that this is the default value for uamPosixUidNumberEnd populated in our UNIX Config object in eDirectory. What is baffling to me is that iManager and namuseradd are both assigning uidNumbers much higher to new users. Our last assigned user id was 72,521. Interestingly enough, namuseradd no longer works in our environment on OES 2 SP3. It does, however, still work on OES 2 SP2. "namconfig get" lists the same configuration on both SP levels.

On OES 2 SP3, I get the following error (same command on SP2 works fine):
namuseradd -a cn=admin,o=org -w <password> -x ou=users,ou=campus,o=org -g cn=nixgrp,ou-linux,o=org -d /home/stu/teststu -s /bin/bash teststu
Error from uamid_allocid: [-1]
Error in set_option: [-1]

Ids for the domain has already been allocated

This brings me to ask a few questions:

1. Does the "old" limit of 65,535 still apply on the modern Linux kernel?
2. Did something change with namuseradd on OES 2 SP3 that enforces this limit in iManager?
3. I have the "Reuse User ID" box checked on our eDirectory config object. It does not appear that users are being recycled though.
4. Is there any harm in incrementing the uamPosixUidNumberEnd field on our UNIX Config object? Potential side effects?

Does anyone have any thoughts, input, or recommendations as to whether or not I am in trouble here with our LUM configuration?

All comments are welcome.