I recently replaced my old openSUSE 11.3 i586 build running on my Sony Vaio VGN-NW320F with a fresh and clean install of openSUSE 11.4 i586. The openSUSE 11.3 installation was running the iFolder client against my iFolder server running and I saw no performance issues aside from perhaps an overall less than stellar – though definitely satisfactory – network performance.

Once I installed openSUSE 11.4 i586 on the Vaio I immediately installed the iFolder client (using YaST and just grabbing it from a repository – I forget which one) (version The installation went fine and I was able to run the iFolder Account Creation Wizard without incident and I connected easily to my iFolder server. However, I've noticed that the performance of the client from simply checking for changes to actually downloading files from the iFolder server is incredibly slow.

I've been using a number of tools and methods to measure the performance and troubleshoot the issue, including but not limited to iftop, htop, ntop, apachetop, (I dig the top tools, what can I say?), tailing the logs on the server, watching threads on the local machine and server. I've changed networking on the Vaio from traditional ifup and back again, I've disabled IPv6, and I've tweaked and untweaked Ipv4. I've even switched from wireless to wired and seen the same sort of behavior. I can say with a high degree of confidence that the problem is quite probably limited to the iFolder client as I've also measured network performance between the Vaio and the iFolder server using scp and noticed that files fly between them at high (i.e. expected) speed.

To say the least, I've been anxious about upgrading my iFolder server and worried about what the best method of that might be. Other iFolder clients (nearly all are running connecting to the server don't seem to have the same problem. It's just on this openSUSE 11.4 i586 build running the iFolder client.

Has anyone else seen similar issues?

Does anyone have any ideas for further troubleshooting the issue?

Lastly, should I bite the bullet and upgrade the iFolder server and if so, what's the best method?

Cross-posted on Applications and iFolder