I have 3 servers, 2 NW6.5SP8 and 1 NW5.1SP8. I installed edir 8.8.5 and SP8.8.5.5 from edir 8.7.3.7 on the master replica (NW65). After much difficulty, I finally got it to boot clean. I then proceeded to the other NW6.5 server with BM3.8 installed. Because of the difficulties I had with the other server, I decided to first upgraded to 8.7.3.10 FTF2 from 8.7.3.7. This seemed to work OK. I then installed edir 8.8.5. I cleaned up most of the errors and when the last of the errors could not be reconciled, I decided they might be reconciles with the install of SP5 for edir 8.8.5. This resulted in the following errors:

Loader cannot find public symbol: __get_errno_ptr for module DS.

These errors were followed by a series of 663 errors:
NWDSLoginAsServer returned -663

I followed TID # 10061953 to reload the library to ensure that all of the modules matched. When I stepped thru stage 3 loads, I received errors from POLIMGR:

SERVER-5.70-918: Loader cannot find public symbol: MASV_GACfgDeregisterService f
or module GAMS.NLM
SERVER-5.70-918: Loader cannot find public symbol: MASV_GACfgRegisterService for
module GAMS.NLM
SERVER-5.70-918: Loader cannot find public symbol: MADSTestConnAsServerOperator
for module GAMS.NLM
SERVER-5.70-918: Loader cannot find public symbol: MASV_GetTargetConnectionRange
for module GAMS.NLM
SERVER-5.70-918: Loader cannot find public symbol: MASV_GetConnectionAccess for module GAMS.NLM

I figured it may be a problem with the library load and just proceeded to install the latest library (NWLIB6L) using NWCONFIG and then rebooted the server.

Rebooting continued to give the PMLODR public symbol for DS error along with the 663 errors. I solved this using Forum posting “CSS.NLM – cause critical error”, posting # 11. I added file NASAUTO.NCF to SYS:\SYSTEM with the contents DELAY 40. This solved the public symbol errors for DS and the 663 errors above.

I now receive the following:

SERVER-5.70-918: Loader cannot find public symbol: SAL_HiResTime for module NMAS
.NLM
SERVER-5.70-918: Loader cannot find public symbol: SAL_ThreadGetCurrentID for mo
dule NMAS.NLM
Module SPMNWCC.NLM cannot be loaded until NMAS.NLM is loaded

SAL is loaded. NMAS is loaded. SPMNWCC is NOT loaded. I do not use universal passwords. After the server is fully up, I unload PMLODR and POLIMGR and reload them, I don’t get errors.

I suspect this is a timing issue. Both of my 6.5 servers are now receiving the SAL public symbol errors on bootup. The servers seem to be functioning properly.

Are the SAL public symbol errors cosmetic? Do I have to worry about them? Can I do something to resolve them?