I have set up a shadow volume pair and it "looks" like there is now a
problem with "some users" being able to double click a (usaually excel) file
and have the file automatically open on the first try. They ususally get a
"file not found" error even though the full path to the file displayed in
the error message is correct. ( j:\folder1\folder2\folder three\file.xlsl).
However, if you then immediatly double clic the same file again it open just

Oes3-sp3, Windows xp client 4.91 sp5 IR1 with all post sp5 patches applied.

The only thing I have found that may be a contribuing factor is spaces in
either the file name or one of the folders in the path to the file.