I'm not sure if this is a Linux, NSS or Novell Client issue, but...

We will frequently see problems with corrupt files. (However it appears as if the file is not actually corrupt, but rather the user is unable to access the correctly)
For example, an end-user will access a Word or OpenOffice document, expecting to see their document, however what they see is text which resembles the FSTAB file and the MOUNT command output:
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/sda2 /var/log ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda3 /var/opt/novell ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /srv/sys ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdb3 /usr/snapvault/db ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdb2 /usr/novell/sys ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
novfs /var/opt/novell/nclmnt novfs rw 0 0
/dev/evms/DATA /opt/novell/nss/mnt/.pools/DATA nsspool rw 0 0
admin /_admin nssadmin rw 0 0
HOME /home nssvol rw 0 0
HOME /srv/home nssvol rw 0 0
GROUP /srv/group nssvol rw 0 0
nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd nfsd rw 0 0
proc /var/lib/ntp/proc proc rw 0 0
I thought the problem was a combination of using samba and having the Network Order changed on the client.

At first I modified the Registry Key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\NetworkProvider\Orde r to ensure that the NetwareWorkstation was first (this is the default when installing the Novell Client, but I think some of our custom software messes up the default order). This did appear to solve the problem, but touching evey workstation was not an ideal solution.

A more permenant fix was to seperate Samba on another interface (i.e. Novell eDirectory and NCP only listened on the main IP and Samba only listened on the secondary IP) This seemed to solve the problem.

However, I just found another instance of the problem where neither of these fixes work and we still see the problem. I have even stopped Samba and saw no difference. But when I cat the file on the linux command line, I don't see the text I see on the Windows client??

The specs of the server are:
Linux servername #1 SMP Thu Jan 14 18:30:10 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux