Good afternoon all,

I am currently trying to roll out the Novell Client 2 SP2 as it fixes a few problems we have encountered in the past. I figured the easiest way to update our existing clients (Combination of Novell Client 2 SP1 ir 5 and ir 9) was to enable the Update Agent in the software.

The image we used did not have this option enabled previously, so I made the appropriate changes to a machine (Enable Automatic Update Agent, Launch Interval of 7 Days, Enabled and filled in the Update Location and checked "Use Administrator Privileges). I then retrieved the changed registry values of:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Client\Update Agent]
"Update Location Enabled"=dword:00000001
"Update Location"="\\\\Data_Server\\vol1\\Shared\\Tools\\Novell Client 2"
"Launch Interval"=dword:00000009
I then deployed these changes to the clients via a Group Policy. Upon inspecting the clients after a GPUPDATE /FORCE, the options are checked and are correct.

However, when the client actually goes to update, they will be presented with the new version available, it will then copy the files down to the C:\ProgramData\Novell\Client\Install folder and instead of running the update, the user received an error:
Novell Automatic Client Upgrade

Error: Automatic Client Upgrade was unable to activate the agent service.
Error code: 183
Error message:  Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
This occurs for all clients regardless of previous SP1 client installed, regardless if they are a administrator or limited user and regardless if you try to manually do the update via the Novell N.

The only solution that works is to goto the users PC, right click on the Novell N, goto Novell Properties, goto Update Agent. Uncheck the "Enable Automatic Update Agent" box, and then recheck it. Doing a Check for Updated Clients then works as expected. Are there any other registry keys that need modified or other ways to enable the "Update Agent" feature after the fact to a few hundred PC's?

Thanks for your time.