If your running Sep Sesam on SLES 10 SP3 and are looking for upgrade to SLES
11 SP1 you need to be on the look out.

As documented here -->
Installing the SLES 11 SP1 will break Sesam. The install process will inform
you that the product will be uninstalled.

Why? Because Sesam uses Postgresql database by default. The version
installed for SLES 10 x86_64 is 8.1.x while the version for SLES 11 x86_64
is 8.3.x. But here's the kicker. Postgresql 8.3.x is a new file format and
incompatible with 8.1.x. Yup Postgresql 8.3.x can't even read 8.1.x data and
the install offers no conversion utility what so ever.

What to do:

If you follow the Sep reccommended procedure at the link above, Sesam will
remain in tact but you will not be able to install a newer version as it
will be looking for the libs associated with Postgresql 8.3.x. That and
Postgresql will see that the database was compiled w/version 8.1.x and
refuse to load.

Also there are a couple of Novell packages that use those same libs
(/usr/lib64/libpq.so.4), Pureftpd is one I remember. The version included on
the SLES 11 SP1 media won't run on those older libs as it installs

Next up is what I tried. Let the SLES 11 SP1 install resolve the conflict by
removing Sesam, reinstall the proper version of Sesam, then restore your
Seam Database from backup. You can use the procedure found here -->

That doesn't work either. Again the Sesam Postgresql database won't load
because it's the wrong version rmi will not start either.

End Game:
After fighting this for a couple of days I gave up and opened a ticket
w/Sep. They are completly aware of the issue and have opened a Bug w/Novell
on it. I was about the 3rd or 4th call on this.

What the tech did was....
Since I had the Sles 11 version installed but it wasn't running, went ahead
and restored my sesam data from backup.
Exported the data from the sesam database.
Removed the Sles 11 version of Sesam.
He forced the rpm package for /usr/lib64/libpq.so.4 to install.
Installed the older version of Sesam v10.
Imported the data back into Seam.
After that he had to get the data mached prepped for the new version.
Installed the proper version of sesam.

I might be missing a few steps towards the end, but you get the gist, it's a
lot of work.

In the end I would just call them before you make the move and they will
give you some steps to take if not do the conversion for you.
Otherwise it's a total mess.