I can't seem to figure out for the life of me how to work with Linked Application Bundles. Or at least, how to make them do what we need. Or honestly even what they are supposed to do.

Basically, the goal here is to deploy Windows 7 x64 as efficiently as possible. We have a lot of machines to deploy, a lot of variety in the applications for various areas, and a small group to accomplish the task.

Ideally, I would like to have one base image of Windows 7 which will work on all hardware we have, and the deploy applications automatically during the imaging process. The first part is not too hard to handle with Sysprep, but I am struggling with the second part.

It seems like the way to do this would be to create multiple preboot bundles for the various builds, but point them all to the same image file. Then we would add different linked application bundles to each preboot bundle, and simply assign the proper preboot bundle to each machine.

Except it doesn't seem to work. I tested it with our anti-virus program, and with Groupwise. For each of these, we have an existing app bundle that works fine. I followed the instructions from the docs to create the add-on image, and nothing happened. The add-on image is being applied, but it is basically just dropping the zmg in a folder on the machine and no further action is taken.

The docs are extremely vague on this point, and Novell support didn't really provide much assistance either.

What do I need to do to get this bundle to actually run after the image is applied?