Environment: Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Service Pack 1
Zenworks Database is on external SQL Server 2008 R2 Server

I used System Updates to download the Update for ZENWorks 11 SP2 (11.2.1) to deploy to my primary 11 SP2 server. FYI, I haven't manually applied any previous monthly packages

Reading the big red WARNING in the update instructions, I am first trying to deploy this update to our only Primary Server.

Device is in now stuck in a pending status (installing Update (1%) complete". Reading the dialog box that pops up "Note: If the update status stays at 0% for a while, check the System Update log. If the System Update log indicates that the update is complete, refresh the agent. Trailing part of the log shows:

INSTALLING;INSTALLING_PERCENTAGE;98;
DEBUG;;;Attempting to resolve variable: ZENWORKS_CONF
DEBUG;;;Attempting to resolve variable: ZENWORKS_CONF
DEBUG;;;Attempting to delete file: D:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\conf/components.properties
DEBUG;;;looking for :\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\conf\components.properties. Exists: True
DEBUG;;;D:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\conf/components.properties is a file attempting to delete
INSTALLING;INSTALLING_PERCENTAGE;98;
DEBUG;;;The service(s)/process(es) [Novell Identity Store;Novell ZENworks Agent Service] will not be started since a reboot is pending.
INSTALLING;INSTALLING_PERCENTAGE;99;
DEBUG;;;The service(s)/process(es) [Novell ZENworks Preboot Service;Novell ZENworks Preboot Policy Service;Novell TFTP Service] will not be started since a reboot is pending.
DEBUG;;;The service(s)/process(es) [Novell ZENworks Remote Management powered by VNC] will not be started since a reboot is pending.
DEBUG;;;The service(s)/process(es) [Novell ZENworks Services Monitor] will not be started since a reboot is pending.
DEBUG;;;The service(s)/process(es) [CasaAuthTokenSvc] will not be started since a reboot is pending.
DEBUG;;;Attempting to resolve variable: ZENWORKS_BIN
DEBUG;;;Attempting to resolve variable: ZENWORKS_BIN
DEBUG;;;Starting process: D:\Program Files (x86)\Novell\ZENworks\bin\TSUsage64.exe Option :
INSTALLING;INSTALLING_PERCENTAGE;100;
AWAITING_REBOOT;AWAITING_REBOOT;;

I was logged into the primary server while the update was being deployed and blue ZCM Icon showed balloons in the task bar as it moved through the various percentages of completion. It reached 100% complete and then prompted for a reboot.

I rebooted as prompted.

Server came back up...the web interface into ZCM is up and operational. However selecting the primary server device, the ZENworks Agent Status reports "Unable to connect to the agent service through the IP address or DNS" When I log into server, after a long delay I see the desktop and when I try to right click on the ZCM blue icon in the system tray to refresh, I get " The ZENworks Service does not appeart to be running. Please restart the service and try your request again"

Side Note: this server does have to network two NIC's in it. One address is the routable primary "public facing" ip address that all normal IP traffic happens over. The second IP address is a non-routable IP address that is used specifically for secure backup traffic.

The second NICs IP address that is non-routable is entered on the server device settings "Restricted IP Address Settings" so that it is not use for ZCM services.

At this point, after the upgrade, it appears that the Zenworks Agent agent running on the server cannot talk to the ZCM server itself.

I have restarted the server a couple of times..but still the status reports "The device has completed 1% of the install" and ZenWorks Agent Status on this primary server devices still shows "Unable to connect to the agent service through the IP address or DNS" .

Any help as to what log file to look at to figure out what went wrong would be greatly appreciated.

- Al