Perhaps the title of this post is not quite correct, but I'm not exactly sure what is going on, and this seemed like the best place to start...

A couple of weeks ago I had to create an install which required me to upload a fairly large (1.8ish Gb) file to one of our ZCM servers. There was an issue on my workstation, and the upload crashed near the end of it. Since that time, there is a never ending stream of .tmp files that are slowly created with a name like zen_8746664857879428438.tmp in the /tmp directory on the server that I was creating the bundle on, they average about 1.8 Gb's in size, and continue to be created until the volume is full. As soon as one file is created, the date is set to Aug 15, so I've assumed that these files are safe to delete.
The bundle that I was working on works, and has been replicated between our primary and secondary ZCM servers. Once the volume fills on the one ZCM server, naturally we cannot establish an SSH session with the server, although I can still get into the server either through WinSCP or PuTTY. I've been able to remove these .tmp files, space frees up nicely, then the process repeats itself ad naseum.
I'm really wondering first of all if there is any way that I can determine what exactly is creating these .tmp files, and secondly how could I prevent this in the future? I'm hesitant to configure a CRON job to just blindly remove these files as I don't know what is causing them to appear. ZCM itself looks like its running alright, I can't find any obvious error messages in any of the logs. The server that these files show up on isn't running hard at all

top - 16:01:16 up 10 days, 7:19, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Tasks: 102 total, 1 running, 100 sleeping, 1 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 0.3%us, 0.3%sy, 0.3%ni, 99.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 3025692k total, 3003516k used, 22176k free, 123836k buffers
Swap: 3140696k total, 136k used, 3140560k free, 2303032k cached

Any thoughts out there? I'd be more than happy to provide further info if you think you can help!