I am getting an error 403 when trying to check for updates in ZCC, ZCM version 11.2. I looked in the log, and it does not appear to shed a lot of light. I am thinking that this sort of thing could happen due to a firewall or web filter, but I have verified this is not our situation. It was working previously, and I am not sure what broke.

I did a little search on this forum and discovered a number of others who have had this problem. One was due to an SSL certificate problem at Novell. A couple were apparently fixed by fiddling with the license activation. Nothing I have found so far seems to help us. I tried deactivating ZCM and then activating it again with our code (same as before), but this has not helped.


Rick P