I'm trying out an upgrade from OES2SP1 to OES2SP2 on a test server. This server is dedicated to DSfW, nothing else is running on it. I did the upgrade through patch channel, and am now stuck on the configuration which comes up after the first boot. The step of configuring Domain Services for Windows fails, and the following output is at the end of Details:

/opt/novell/xad/sbin/ndsdcinit.pl: Cannot contact the preferred DNS server exiting..: Bad file descriptor
2012-10-04 16:08:54 Executing .. /opt/novell/xad/bin/kinit -E Administrator@mydomain.com

Two things are "interesting" about it.

1. is the IP address of the server itself. It is also the only nameserver address listed in /etc/resolv.conf. Using nslookup, I can successfully perform name lookups against this server (such as nslookup mydomain.com), so I don't understand why ndsdcinit.pl cannot contact it...

2. When I run '/opt/novell/xad/bin/kinit -E Administrator@mydomain.com' from command line, I get this error:

kinit(v5): Input/output error while getting initial credentials

When I run just '/opt/novell/xad/bin/kinit Administrator@mydomain.com', it is successful. I tried to look up what the -E switch for kinit is supposed to do, and I can't find any references to it in the man page nor Novell DSfW docs.

Any thoughts before I revert this test VM to pre-upgrade state and just hope for better luck next time?