I am trying to upgrade a OES2/ Sles10 server to OES11 SP1 / SLES 11 using AutoYaST.
This procedure is documented in the OES 11 SP1 Installation Guide ( 28 Aug 2012) in section 5.6.

I have remastered the Integrated ISO file as per the instructions, modified the disk mount points and created an Answer File with the admin user password.

I mount the ISO and start the upgrade as per the instructions - all is well until after the reboot, the server is attempting the OES configuration - specifically "Initializing LDAP servers configuration."

At this point I get the following error:
"ndsconfig failed to upgrade and start eDirectory
This may be due to an incorrect LDAP admin password
Online upgrade aborted
Check your passwords and try again"
command: /opt/novell/eDirectory/bin/ndsconfig upgrade -c -a ' ' -j --config-file /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf
starting service 'ndsd' ... Done.

Upgrading Novell eDirectory server with the following parameters, Please wait
Tree name: NDS
Server DN : <server domain/name>

Configuration file : /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf
Instance location : /var/opt/novell/eDirectory/data
DIB location: /var/opt/novell/eDirectory/data/dib

Checking to see if the server is ready to receive requests ... unknown error 1 (1 hex).1

The instance at /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf is upgraded successfully.

Error: /opt/novell/eDirectory/bin/ndsconfig return value = 56.
I have tried with different passwords, even leaving it out and the upgrade asking me for it - the result is still the same.

If I allow it to complete, login and run the OES installation manually - it works fine.
I want this to run silently as I have a lot of servers to upgrade.

Any Ideas ?