Home

Thread: Clarrification on setup of sharing for dynamic groups

Clarrification on setup of sharing for dynamic groups

I could use some expert help on understanding the steps to configure sharing rights for different dynamic groups.

I'm using eDir and I have three dynamic groups - Teacher, Staff and Students

Right now I want
    Teachers to have all sharing rights but external/public
    Staff to have all sharing rights but public
    Students to have no sharing rights at all

Can someone tell me how to go through the Share Settings, User Accounts, ?groups? in the Administration console to easily assign these rights to my 2000+ users? The documentation is confusing and seems to have me end up with all sharing rights turned on for all users and then tell me to turn it off under User Accounts, which requires touching each user or subset of 25 users at a time to configure rights.

I am hoping that the steps are not.
    1.) Turn on sharing for the built in 'all internal users' group.
    2.) Manually select all users in subsets a maximum of 25 at a time and CLEAR the rights that you don't want them to have.

I'd be in for a late night. Is there a better way? I'm loving Filr version 1.0 but I need easy sharing rights too.

Thanks.

Re: Clarrification on setup of sharing for dynamic groups

Quote Originally Posted by nlandas View Post
    I could use some expert help on understanding the steps to configure sharing rights for different dynamic groups.

I'm using eDir and I have three dynamic groups - Teacher, Staff and Students

Right now I want
    Teachers to have all sharing rights but external/public
    Staff to have all sharing rights but public
    Students to have no sharing rights at all

Can someone tell me how to go through the Share Settings, User Accounts, ?groups? in the Administration console to easily assign these rights to my 2000+ users? The documentation is confusing and seems to have me end up with all sharing rights turned on for all users and then tell me to turn it off under User Accounts, which requires touching each user or subset of 25 users at a time to configure rights.

I am hoping that the steps are not.
    1.) Turn on sharing for the built in 'all internal users' group.
    2.) Manually select all users in subsets a maximum of 25 at a time and CLEAR the rights that you don't want them to have.

I'd be in for a late night. Is there a better way? I'm loving Filr version 1.0 but I need easy sharing rights too.

Thanks.
    When you say dynamic groups. Do you mean edir dynamic groups, or a dynamic group created within filr that reads from eDir?

(just wanting to make sure I understand).
    The opinions expressed are my own.
    Check out my OES2 Guides:
    Installing OES2 SP2: http://www.novell.com/communities/no...allation-guide
    Upgrading to OES2 with ID Transfer: http://www.novell.com/communities/no...r-id-scenarios
    GroupWise Migration with OES2 ID Transfer: http://www.novell.com/communities/no...p2-transfer-id

The groups are eDir dynamic groups that filr is pulling in. The documentation suggests that filr understands the correct attributes to support eDir dynamic groups.

Does anyone have more details on this? The eDir dynamic groups show the correct members when checked in Filr. This is an issue of how to assign Sharing Rights at the group level. I am not trying to be obtuse or have additional threads on the same subject. Does anyone have an example of how they are setting Sharing Rights without having to do it a user at a time or for the entire user base?

Thanks,
    -Nyle