I'm having an issue with pure-ftpd on a oes 11 SP 1 server. Server is current with patches. Version of pure-ftp is: novell-pure-ftpd Version 1.1.0-5.55

I have LUM enabled users and need to allow them to ftp to the server. They are able to log in just fine but they are always sent to the linux home not to their eDir home directory. I've done an LDAP search and it does show both the homeDirectory and ndsHomeDirectory. What they are getting is the homeDirectory. The ndsHomeDirectory is on a NSS volume on the same server. The problem is the same when connecting by IP address or by url.

I've used the instructions from TID 3503915 and I think I have it set correctly. If I'm reading that correctly I need the following set:

remote_server yes
EnableRemoteHomeDirectory yes

And that is supposed to be what sends the user to their ndsHomeDirectory.

When someone logs in I get the following in the /var/log/messages file:

Sep 30 14:37:51 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [INFO] New connection from xx.xx.xx.xx
Sep 30 14:37:53 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Command [user] [Gomer]
Sep 30 14:37:55 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Command [pass] [<*>]
Sep 30 14:37:55 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] UserFDNfromUID: User FDN: cn=Gomer,o=Staff, UID: 612
Sep 30 14:37:55 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] nwlogin -u cn=Gomer.o=Staff uid 612 context Staff
Sep 30 14:37:56 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Reloading remote server information
Sep 30 14:37:56 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [ERROR] Failed to perform LDAP search to get the list of remote servers accessible. Error: Can't contact
LDAP server <-1>
Sep 30 14:37:56 uval12 pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xx.xx.xx) [INFO] Gomer is now logged in
Sep 30 14:37:56 uval12 pure-ftpd: (Gomer@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Command [syst] []
Sep 30 14:37:56 uval12 pure-ftpd: (Gomer@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Command [feat] []
Sep 30 14:37:56 uval12 pure-ftpd: (Gomer@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Command [pwd] []
Sep 30 14:37:58 uval12 pure-ftpd: (Gomer@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Command [epsv] []
Sep 30 14:37:58 uval12 pure-ftpd: (Gomer@xx.xx.xx.xx) [DEBUG] Command [list] []

The login from a openSuse console:

220-Welcome to Pure-FTPd.
220-You are user number 1 of 500 allowed.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Name (xx.xx.xx.xx:chuck): Gomer
331 User Gomer OK. Password required
Password:
230-User Gomer has group access to: everyone
230-This server supports FXP transfers
230 OK. Current directory is /home/Gomer
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

Even though in the pure-ftpd.conf file I have "CreateHomeDir no" it automatically creates /home/Gomer

I've tried this with different users and the directory issue is consistant. id <username> works as expected and ssh works as expected other than putting Gomer in /home/Gomer instead of his ndsHomeDir. With the ftp or ssh logins the user can change directory to the ndsHomeDirectory and has correct rights there. I'm using LDAP for other applications and not having issues with it. I can do ldap searches either with or without SSL with no issues. Pure-ftp is set to use SSL. (edir_ldap_port 636)

I've tried searches on the LDAP error in the messages log but haven't come up with anything helpful yet.