Hi,

I'm just posting this for reference in case other people are looking for
the error messages, I don't think it's worth an SR.

After successfully upgrading our 2 ADC DSfW servers to OES11SP2 by
zypper command line following the docs (install OS11SP1 channel patches,
1st reboot, install OES11SP2 stuff, 2nd reboot), I followed the same
procedure on the PDC.
But this time DSfW wouldn't come up properly after the 1st reboot. After
some investigation it turned out that ndsd was running, just not in
DSfW-mode. I found these strange messages in ndsd.log:

--->>>
Feb 06 23:42:53 Information: SNMP Trap Server for Novell eDirectory
8.8.7 v20705.00 started.

Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libnad-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libntdsapi.so.1: undefined symbol: xad_alloc,
version XADCORE_2.0,errno 2
Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libsubschema-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libxaddsa.so.2: undefined symbol:
xad_set_alloc_cb, version XADCORE_2.0
,errno 2
Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libcrossref-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libxaddsa.so.2: undefined symbol:
xad_set_alloc_cb, version XADCORE_2.0,
errno 2
Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libanr-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libxaddsa.so.2: undefined symbol:
xad_set_alloc_cb, version XADCORE_2.0,errno
2
Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libtokengroups-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libxaddsa.so.2: undefined symbol:
xad_set_alloc_cb, version XADCORE_2
..0,errno 2
Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libnetlogon-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libxaddsa.so.2: undefined symbol:
xad_set_alloc_cb, version XADCORE_2.0,
errno 2
Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libntacl-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libntacl.so.2: undefined symbol:
RtlSetSaclSecurityDescriptor,errno 2
Loader Failed:for
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/nds-modules/libdsearch-plugin.so,error
/opt/novell/xad/lib64/libxaddsa.so.2: undefined symbol:
xad_set_alloc_cb, version XADCORE_2.0,e
rrno 2
Feb 06 23:42:53 NDS iMonitor for Novell eDirectory 8.8 SP7 v20705.00
started successfully.
---<<<

I tried to find the reason, but wasn't successful. rpm -Va, checking
/etc/ld.so.conf* and other checks didn't turn up any obvious problem. I
decided to continue with the update to OES11SP2 and luckily this fixed
the problem :).

And a note to rtburker, I guess your dsfw_edir_healthchk-2.2.sh script
(really nice BTW, thanks!) could be extended to detect this case, since
'defaultnamingcontext' and 'dcserver' end up as empty. This could be
used for a "Verifying if ndsd is really running in DSfW mode" check.

Franz.