We are running Win 7 64bit, Client 2 SP3 IR6.
Our end users all have their own unique drive letter (U:). I've done folder redirection of "Documents", "Music", etc to this location via Registry changes using ZCM. Here is an example of what I am settings:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal" point to "U:\Documents".
(This part works properly)

I have also replaced and pinned a Windows Explorer icon to the desktop,start menu, and task bar with the following as the target: "%windir%\explorer.exe "U:\Documents". I do this so that anytime you launch windows explorer, you are placed in your Documents and do not have to navigate to find them.
(This also works properly)

As expected, if I click the special Windows Explorer icon I see my Documents. If I then scroll up in the left pane and click the "Documents" library I still see my Documents. If I right-click the library and choose Properties, then I correctly see "U:\Documents" as the location.
If I close all instances of Windows Explorer (to verify that one is not open and in the U:\Documents directory) and click the "Documents" link on the Start Menu (NOT using any of my special Windows Explorer icons) I see a message "No folder have been included in this library" (A note, the default location of C:\Users\%username%\Documents has been removed from the library as we do not want our end users saving documents locally.)

I don't understand the difference between these 2 actions. Why doesn't the Start Menu "Documents" link work correctly?

I could swear that this worked a year ago when I rolled out our new Win7 PCs, but that was many Windows and Novell Client versions ago.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a better way to deal with Windows libraries and folder redirection than my current method?