Having a strange problem which seems to only affect Windows 7 users.

Say a user maps a drive to their home directory, when they try to rename a file or folder on the root of the mapped drive they get an error:
The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program)

But strangely enough they can write create and delete files without any problem.

Also this only happens are the root, if they create a folder and work within files under that folder they are fine.
And this error only happens in Windows 7, XP and command line (smbclient) do not have any problems.

At first I thought is was a permissions thing but all the permissions are fine and if I connect via the Novell Client everything is fine.

Then I thought it might be a locking issue, but none of the various smb options seem to make any difference:
acl check permissions = True or False
locking = No
oplocks = No
level2 oplocks = No
posix locking = No

Then I thought it might be a file ownership issue (Windows has a weird concept of a file owner) but none of these options made a difference:
profile acls = no
acl group control = no
dos filemode = no

I even thought it might be a SMB2 version thing, so I tried:
server max protocol = NT1

Nothing has worked so far.

We are running Samba 3.0.36- on SLES10 (OES2) with a NSS backend
(I know this is an old version of samba, but upgrading isn't really an option right now and until now, everything has been working perfect)