Home

Thread: Upgrade Linux then move to Windows?

Upgrade Linux then move to Windows?

I currently run GW 2102 on Linux. My GW accounts are External Entities in e-directory.
    We moved to AD about 1.5 years ago for networking.
    So...in the long run I want to create a new Windows server for GW 2014 and enable AD support in GW.

Where do I start? Upgrade the Linux system to 2014. Make sure it's stable. Then enable AD support? Make sure it's stable. Then setup a Windows 2014 system and migrate to that system? Is it even possible to migrate user accounts from Linux to Windows? And...do I want to...My network admins want Windows but from past experience Linux has been a better system for GW.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Re: Upgrade Linux then move to Windows?

tamideemer wrote:

> I currently run GW 2102 on Linux. My GW accounts are External Entities in
    > e-directory. We moved to AD about 1.5 years ago for networking. So...in the
    > long run I want to create a new Windows server for GW 2014 and enable AD
    > support in GW.

That's fine.

> Where do I start? Upgrade the Linux system to 2014. Make sure it's stable.
    > Then enable AD support? Make sure it's stable. Then setup a Windows 2014
    > system and migrate to that system?

Personally, I would go straight for moving the system to Windows and performing
    the upgrade. I see no benefit in upgrading on Linux and then moving it all to
    Windows and having to perform the overall installation again. In fact, I think
    it adds a lot of unnecessary complications with recreating admin service
    certificates and the like. Do it all on Windows!

> Is it even possible to migrate user
    > accounts from Linux to Windows? And...do I want to...My network admins want
    > Windows but from past experience Linux has been a better system for GW.

You say your GroupWise users are all external entities, so they really are only
    marginally integrated with eDirectory at this point. That's actually to your
    benefit. So, you move to Windows, upgrade the GW system, and then associate the
    GroupWise accounts to the AD accounts. If the GroupWise IDs are the same as the
    sAMAccountNames you can do a mass association. If they are different, you can
    manually associate the users with AD.

Here's a whitepaper on the process.

https://www.novell.com/docrep/2014/0...f?noredir=true

--
    Danita
    Novell Knowledge Partner
    Upgrading to GroupWise 2014? We've got you covered
    http://www.caledonia.net/store

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below...