Windows 7 Pro base image pulled down by Zenworks. Addon image with Zenworks Agent 11.3, Novell Client 2 SP3 IR8 are also pulled down. Sysprep does its thing before handing control over to a couple powershell scripts i wrote that configure a few things (disable uac, install certs, synchronize time to our server, disable libraries, etc) before installing the Novell Client followed by the Zenworks Agent and then configuring the Registry for Auto Logon for both Local Admin and Novell. 1 of 4 things happens.

The computer boots to windows and tries logging in, gets a no tree or server error, then reboots and auto logs in fine and finishes imaging.
The computer boots to windows and tries logging in, gets a no tree or server error, then reboots and auto log fails with no tree or server and it just sits there. Does not finish imaging.
The computer boots to windows, tries logging in and gets a no tree or server error, and just sits there. Does not reboot. Does not finish imaging.
The computer boots to windows, auto logs in fine, finishes imaging.

Increased "Max Retries Boot Threshold" to 900 and it did not make any difference.
Increased "NCP Establish Connection Timeout" to 45 and it did not make any difference.
Increased "Server Connection Retries" to 20 and it did not make any difference.

The strangest part is that from then on Auto Log works fine. I never get a Tree Server error after that first attempt regardless of with of the 4 scenarios happens. If i just log in by hand, or reboot the ones that stick at No Tree or Server they will autolog in from then on no problem.

We did a port mirror on the switch to see what all was coming from the workstation at that point and there was no Novell Client traffic just prior the No Tree Server error according to my network guys. They could see other traffic (dhcp requests, etc) but not so much as a request came from the workstation for logon. They compared to a working login and saw none of the Novell traffic they expected.

Its a very random problem, I would say on a lab 0f 30 machines 20 auto log fine and finish imaging and 10 end up stuck at the No Tree Server error. If i reimage the same 30 machines, a different 10 will end up stuck at no tree server. These are all dell Lat d630's but we're seeing the problem on Opti 745's/755's/790's and Lat e6500/6400's.

Any idea where i should even begin looking? Im thinking of adding WinDump to the base so I can start a data capture from the machine while its trying to login, but since we did see DHCP requests on the mirrored port but no Novell traffic, im thinking it wont show me anything different than the mirror port log.

Thank you all,

Adam Pitt
System Engineer
Clare-Gladwin RESD