Groupwise 8 on SLES 11 SP3
LDAP server Netware 6.5 SP8

I recently completed a move of Groupwise from my Netware 6.5 SP8 server to SLES. Today I rebooted the server that Groupwise used to be on, its our main file server and is still our LDAP server. After it came back up Blackberry users started telling me that they were getting an Alert on their phones about incorrect login information. Re-entering their password did not fix it for anybody.

I started looking at logs and dstraces, suspecting LDAP issues or SSL (SSL I had disabled after the GW move). Another symptom that occurred was I could not login to WebAccess either (although I am not certain that this started occurring after the main server reboot). The logs for Webaccess simply showed Login Failed, even with verbose logging enabled. I rebooted the NDSMP server as well but this did not solve anything. I set dstrace to watch LDAp activity on the LDAP server but it never showed anything.

Then I started checking the poa logs. While I was browsing through it for errors I saw a SOAP connection come in from the NDSMP server.

Webaccess started working again as did everyone's Blackberries and iPhones. I don't believe that I did anything that would have solved the problem. I would like to know what the problem was so that the next time I need to reboot my server I can avoid this. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might have been? Why the delay in communications between the NDSMP and Groupwise or the LDAP server?

Puzzled in Regina,