The story so far:

We're looking at implementing Kanaka in our lab based environments as we're increasing our Mac presence. I'm using the plugin portion rather than the desktop application so users login from the Mac login screen. I have the login screen set so they have to define their username and password instead of clicking an icon to login with (in that case we have to usually wait for Other to appear in order to access a network account). I've gone through the process of accessing Users & Groups and I went to Login Options and clicked Join next to Network Account Server and I modified the Kanaka entry and added our Kanaka server (we're using the DNS name instead of the IP) and tests have been successful and logins have been successful.

What I'm looking at is manipulating the sidebar in Finder so that when the user clicks on Downloads or Documents, etc, then it will display the contents from the corresponding eDirectory account.

User folder structure on the Mac:
> Desktop
> Documents
> Downloads
> Pictures
> Movies
> Music
> Library

User eDirectory folder structure:
> Desktop
> My Documents
--> Downloads
--> My Pictures
--> My Videos

The only folder to map properly is the Desktop because it has the same name and they're at the same level. Restructuring the eDirectory account side isn't an option (at least I can and have made the suggestion) so I'd like to find a way to manipulate the Mac side so Documents points to My Documents and Downloads points to My Documents > Downloads, etc.

What I have tested in the past:

Mobile Accounts - OFF
Synchronization - N/A

Users login as Network/Managed accounts and they are not saved directly to the Mac. The login times are great (almost 30 seconds) and my Desktop icons are right there on the screen. I am able to manipulate the Dock and the changes are persistent from computer to computer. Finder preferences seem to reset themselves so I have to keep telling it to display network storage devices and show all the folders in the Finder sidebar. Most of the folders on the sidebar are empty except for Desktop and is I click on the user Home folder I can see the rest of the eDirectory contents. Any changes made to these folders for the user account are synced back to the eDirectory account so the folder structure looks like this:

> Desktop
> My Documents
--> Downloads
--> My Pictures
--> My Videos
> Documents
> Downloads
> Pictures
> Movies
> Music
> Library

When I started to play with the Mobile Accounts option I looked at modifying the User Template folders as root user.

I navigated to the following location: Macintosh HD > System > Library > User Template

I looked at modifying the local template and the non-local template and I created a number of test folders so that if either one showed up I'd know which one (ie I used folders called Local Eng Test for the local template and Non Local Test for the non-local template).

English.lproj
Default folders - Desktop, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public

Non_localized
Default Folders - Documents, Downloads, Library

Mobile Accounts - ON
Synchronization - OFF

User logs in as a Mobile/Managed user with login times increased to about 2 minutes. Once I logged in I didn't have my desktop icons. Browser through the Finder window revealed no traces of the eDirectory folders from the user account. Users have to navigate through the mounted volume VOL1\home\username\ which is tedious it might freak the user out as they will see everyone elses home folder. Any changes made to the Mac do not sync back to the eDirectory account. Accounts remain on the Mac after they logout but this has no impact on the login time, it still takes 2 minutes. I also didn't see any hint that the account was created using either the local or non-local templates.

Mobile Accounts - ON
Synchronization - ON

User logs in as a Mobile/Managed user with a login time remaining the same, 2 minutes. Once I logged in I still didn't have my desktop icons and browsing through Finder revealed no trances of my eDirectory folders from the user account. I still had to navigate through the mounted volume to reach my files. Changes made to the Mac did not sync back to the user's eDirectory and the account remained on the computer after logout. With these settings I saw a test folder for Local Eng Test and thought that it was drawing from the local user template but as a browsed through the Finder folders I saw the same folders for the non-local template as well. I can't think of why it is drawing from both templates, I thought it would pick one or the other, not both.

The preferred setup so far is:

Mobile Accounts - OFF
Synchronization - N/A

The reason being the user has easier access to the eDirectory files and folders and any changes they make are synced back and the accounts are also not stored locally making it easier to deal with the Mac and we likely won't have to deal with issues related to where a user saved a file unless they were mucking about in the system folders. The quick login time is also a huge bonus since our Windows machines, with they image on them, take a long time to login.

With the issue I'm facing (folder structure differing from the Mac folders) I'm not sure how to influence the sidebar in Finder since these accounts basically have never logged onto a Mac using Kanaka and they're not stored locally. I found a sidebar preference file after I'd logged in and I had my Library folder and I tried to change it but it seemed to revert back to its original state but perhaps I wasn't doing that right. I'm not sure how else I can manipulate the preferences there or the sidebar and because the accounts are not locally created on the Mac (they don't exist on the Mac, then they login and they sort of exist, then they log off and they don't exist again on the Mac).

If I have to create a Library folder and use a preference file I've essentially created after logging in myself then I'll do that and hope it's not replaced. I just want Documents in Finder to point to My Documents and Downloads in Finder to point to My Documents > Downloads, etc, etc. I just picture our users logging in and clicking around and going into a panic because they think their files disappeared because they logged into a Mac and then they start the blame game when the files are there they're just not mapping in the same way.

Specs:

Kanaka (server side)
Version 2.8.0.5
March 8 2013 14:13:00

Kanaka (client side)
Novell Kanaka for Mac
Version 2.8.0

Mac OS X
Version 10.9.4 Mavericks

Server OS
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x64) with SP3
OES 11 SP2