I can't be certain about the timing around when this issue started, but my users seem to think it coincides with the last lot of maintenance we carried out on our GW mobility server.
We patched the BASH vulnerability and upgraded our server to SLES11 SP3 at the same time. Since then (they tell me!), when they get an external email with an attachment(s) (note internal mails are OK - makes sense), the device shows the email up but the attachments are all shown as MIME.822. You cannot obviously open these, nor do you get a clue as to what file type they should be.

I've now upgraded the GWMS in an attempt to resolve this, which did nothing (Version: 2.0.1 Build: 53). I've also applied a patch relating to an issue with Xperia handsets - http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014337. This didn't solve the problem either.

We have iPhone/iPad users and a couple of users with Galaxy S4's, none of which have this issue. The M2 phones are now Android 4.4.2, which is a reasonably recent update, but they still tell me it's me that broke it during my last lot of maintenance on the server.

I guess it's an issue with the handsets primarily, but I have over 40 of these in circulation, so I do need a solution

Any ideas anyone please? Many thanks, Alan