I'm posting this because it *may* be ZCM related, I'm at a bit of a loss, to be honest.
We are running ZCM 11.3, With Win8.1 desktops (the problem occurs on Win7_SP1 as well). Novell Client 2SP3

We have a few thousand users, staff and students. So far, we have seen 2 students, and 1 staff member 'afflicted' by this.
-A brand new deployed image, user boots up on Campus, and logs in (creates the local user account using DLU)
-User can happily use the computer no problem.
-User reboots the computer and logs in 'Computer Only', and can access everything fine.

-User takes laptop home, and tries to login 'Computer Only', which is successful.
However, if they try and open 'Windows Explorer' (explorer.exe), or anything that uses Explorer (eg Control Panel) They get an error box (titled Explorer.EXE):
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

No amount of rebooting changes this error condition. Even if I login Computer Only on Campus (using our LAN), the error persists.
All my research seems to say 'Corrupt User Profile, use a restore point, or recreate the user'. No help in saying 'how' it became corrupted.

** The strange thing is that if the user restarts the computer and logs into the network on our Campus LAN, it allows access to the 'Explorer.exe' and seems to 'repair' the issue, so a subsequent 'Computer Only' login works fine.

One odd thing is that we have 2 students who have been given *completely different devices*, (with different OS), clean built image, and the problem re-occurs as above.
If we login as a different (new) user on the device (DLU creates local account), it works as normal.

(It may be relevant that we have completely disabled the ESM component of ZCM, as it was triggering BSOD on devices (see my post in this forum). Whether that then causes other issues, I don't know.)

At this point I'm open to any ideas, suggestions?