Last week our users started to complain about performance when saving or loading files to network drives. Opening the file from network drive or saving to network drive takes a long time.

Problem seems to be limited to MS Office files. It is mostly observed with Excel, but that may be simply because Excel is the most heavily used Office component. Users of other software (mostly various CAD and GIS tools) who are also heavily using network drives are not complaining. "Raw" network performance seems OK when copying files from/to network drives.

Google is full of various suggestions about this issue and I am pursuing them. The reason why I write here is mostly to get some feedback from others on the following. I have recently made (of course ;)) no changes to servers or network equipment that could explain this issue. The only thing I can think of that happened before users started complaining was the Microsoft Patch Tuesday (last Tuesday). So I'm curious to know if anyone else started seeing problems related to MS Office and network drives after the latest Windows updates?

Our environment: Server OES11 SP2 with latest patches, workstations Windows 7 SP1 x64 with Novell Client 2 SP3 IR10, MS Office 2010 and 2007.