IDM4.02 isn't overkill. The box is filled with much more than it was in the days of 2.02 but you don't have to install stuff you
don't need.

IDM4.02 and IDM4.01 is pretty much the same if you compare what you get in the box so out of those two there isn't any
questions, 4.02 it is.
IDM3.6.1 has passed general support life cycle (http://support.novell.com/lifecycle/) and my recommendation is that you should
upgrade to IDM4.0.2 as soon as you have a good reason or chance to do so.

As Geoffrey said the engine part works the same and you should be able to upgrade engine and drivers without any larger issues.
If you want to convert the current policies and driver configuration to new standard it will require (quite) some work but in
the end it is worth it.

I would say that the most important task is to align eDirectory versions in your environment. IDM4.02 requires SLES (doesn't run
on OES) and requires eDir 8.8.7. I would recommend that you create a table of all your servers with hardware spec., os and
eDirectory info and try to create an upgrade strategy for your entire environment. Replace your Netware boxes first and then try
to upgrade/patch OES in a way that you get as few exceptions as possible to latest releases and if you get exceptions make sure
that all exceptions uses the same version of OES and eDir.

When that's done install SLES boxes with eDir 887 (as many as you need for your IDM setup) and make one of the master of your
partitions (at least root and the partitions serviced by IDM).

I don't think that you will be able to upgrade directly from IDM2.02 to 4.02 (2.02 doesn't support what 4.02 requires). One
options is that you export all your drivers, install IDM4.02 from scratch and import your drivers. If you need the associations
you should be able to export them to ldif and import them after IDM4.02 installation as long as your driverset and drivers keep
their names and placement.

Best regards,

On 2012-07-23 17:46, tim fitch wrote:
> Dont laugh. We have been on IDM 2.02 since its release. We use it to
> primarily synch data with Windows 2003 AD as well as GroupWise
> passwords. Its served us just fine hence why fix it if its not broke.
> Now we are looking to move to GroupWise 2012 and eventually a 2008R2 AD.
> Now I know there is no upgrade nor migration path off IDM 2.02 so my
> question is this? What version should I install fresh to my
> environment? I ahv mixture of OES2 and OES 11 boxes, eDir 8.7 and 8.8
> and a couple leagacy Netware boxes soon to be replaced with OES 11
> boxes. Given we still only need to synch data and passwords, is ID 4.02
> overkill? Thoughts (and prayers) are appreciated.