Home

Thread: ZCM appliance upgrade path

Hybrid View

ZCM appliance upgrade path

I did not have the time or Linux knowledge to build a ZCM server from scratch, so I went the appliance route a few years ago as we were migrating from XP, using Zfd to Windows 7 using ZCM 11.1. I have never upgraded or patched this appliance. Now that we are wanting to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you can see my problem.

Instead of doing all of the upgrades to get my 11.1 appliance to 11.4, I am considering starting a new 11.4 appliance on a new host and slowly switch everything over to Windows 10 and the ZCM 11.4 appliance. Is this a good idea or terrible idea? I wasn't sure if the two ZCM systems would conflict with each other? I am sure I would have to slightly change the 11.4 name from zenworks.site to something different. Any other changes that I would have to make? This time I will keep the appliance patched as to not get into this situation again.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Re: ZCM appliance upgrade path

Quote Originally Posted by robkoon81 View Post
    I did not have the time or Linux knowledge to build a ZCM server from scratch, so I went the appliance route a few years ago as we were migrating from XP, using Zfd to Windows 7 using ZCM 11.1. I have never upgraded or patched this appliance. Now that we are wanting to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you can see my problem.

Instead of doing all of the upgrades to get my 11.1 appliance to 11.4, I am considering starting a new 11.4 appliance on a new host and slowly switch everything over to Windows 10 and the ZCM 11.4 appliance. Is this a good idea or terrible idea? I wasn't sure if the two ZCM systems would conflict with each other? I am sure I would have to slightly change the 11.4 name from zenworks.site to something different. Any other changes that I would have to make? This time I will keep the appliance patched as to not get into this situation again.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

The main area of conflict would be imaging.
    I would disable PXE Services on the old Zone when I installed the new Zone and started moving devices.

I cannot really think of anything else off the top of my head that would be a conflict.
    --
    Any Opinions, Thoughts, Solutions, or Blog Entries are my own and may or may not be shared by Micro Focus or any Sane Person
    Please Use at your Own Risk.

Blog - https://forums.novell.com/blog.php/5830-CRAIGDWILSON

https://ideas.microfocus.com/mfi/novell-zcm

Want to Turbo charge your apps and put an end to compatability issues?
    https://www.microfocus.com/products/...top-containers

Re: ZCM appliance upgrade path

Thanks Craig. That is how I will proceed then.