Windows Firewall is blocking the Tree and Server DHCP options for the Micro Focus client [ Client for Open Enterprise Server 2 SP4 (IR4) ] when the Micro Focus client is set to DHCP enabled in the Profiles tab in Windows 7/10.

How to produce the problem (I hope).

Right Click on the Micro Focus tray icon and select “Client Properties…”
Select the “System Login Profiles” tab
Select the “Default” Profile and click on “Properties”
Under the “eDirectory” Tab, select <DHCP> for both “Tree” and “Server”.
Ok out of everything
Open regedit and create/confirm the following:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Login\DHCP]
"Tree"=""
"Server"=hex:
Lastly, disable the Windows Firewall (don’t stop the service, actually use the GUI to turn it off)
Reboot

Login and check the Micro Focus client for the Tree and Server which should now be passed by your DHCP server (Assuming your DHCP server is set to pass these options). You can also check the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Login\DHCP). If it’s there, great! Clear them from the registry (remove the data only, leaving the data blank). Enable the Windows Firewall and reboot. Upon rebooting everything should be blank meaning something with the Windows Firewall is blocking this action.

I was able to fix this with Windows 7 be copying the built in rule “Core Networking – Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP-In)” and changing the rule to “Apply to services only” instead of “This Program: %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe” and “Apply to service with this service short name (example: eventlog): dhcp”. This got things working in Windows 7 with the firewall on.

In Windows 10 1607 (haven’t tested 1511), just like in Windows 7, things work as expected when the Windows firewall is off. With the Windows firewall on, it’s not working. I applied the same fix that I came up with for Windows 7 and it doesn’t resolve the issue. I’ve dug further into it on Windows 10 and discovered that it appears XTsvcmgr.exe is responsible for requesting and writing the values to the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Login\DHCP ). With the firewall off, XTsvcmgr.exe sends out a UDP packet to request the information and writes what it gets to the registry. When I turn the firewall back on, XTsvcmgr.exe doesn’t send any packets out at all. It appears that the Windows firewall is actually blocking XTsvcmgr.exe from running even though I’ve allowed “All Services”.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thank you!
Ryan