In order to move forward and manage thin client RDP sessions on Server 2016, I need to upgrade my ZCM 11.4.3 Embeded Database to ZCM 2017

School is about to start, so I am looking at my options.
I think the quickest easiest is to do an in place up grade of my 2008 R2 to server 2016... Then upgrade ZCM to 2017

Otherwise I would have to install a new server on a VM - Server 2012R2 because 11.4.3 does not support Server 2016. Migrate my server over to the new server.... Upgrade ZCM to 2017.
Ideally why I am upgrading it would be nice to move all of my servers to 2016... But then that requires moving the server yet again... This would be much easier with an external database.

I see that the in place upgrade of server 2008 R2 to server 2012 R2 seems to work fine if you remove the "User Agent Spoke." what exactly does this mean??? How do I accomplish this.
I think this is the route I would like to take as I could build a proper 2016 server that I could then move an existing ZCM 2017 to.

If anyone could provide a mile high overview of steps that should be taken I would appreciate it.