I attempted to upgrade our ZCM system to 2017 (from 11 SP3) the Wednesday night/Thursday morning. The 11 SP4 upgrade went without an issue; however, when installing 2017 on the first primary, the ZENUpdater failed to start (the err.log showed the 20 failed attempts to start).

About 5 minutes after the final attempt to start the ZENUpdater, I cancelled the upgrade. The cancel process took about 20 minutes before it closed the software installation window. I tried running the install again and it completed within a couple minutes with errors. I tried rebooting and running the install again with the same result.

At this point I took copies of the installation logs, reverted my servers back to 11 SP3 and restored my DBs from the snapshot and backups taken before I started.

Going through logs this morning, I am wondering if I may have cancelled the upgrade to quickly. The 11 SP4 log has a twenty minute gap in activity between the ZENUpdater portion and the next line that has a time and the 2017 has 25 minutes (twenty of which I thought it was taking to cancel),

11SP4:
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[zenupdater completed.Embedded JARs will be extracted to: /tmp/sux2736460900530927915zen
Attempting to extract: activation-1.1.1.jar
Attempting to extract: axiom-api-1.2.7.jar
Attempting to extract: axiom-impl-1.2.7.jar
Attempting to extract: axis2-kernel-1.4.1.jar
Attempting to extract: backport-util-concurrent-3.1.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-codec-1.3.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-io-1.4.jar
Attempting to extract: geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0.1.jar
Attempting to extract: jdom-1.0.jar
Attempting to extract: jsap-2.1.jar
Attempting to extract: neethi-2.0.4.jar
Attempting to extract: system-update-updater-11.4.0.jar
Attempting to extract: system-update-utilities-11.4.0.jar
Attempting to extract: wsdl4j-1.6.2.jar
Attempting to extract: wstx-asl-3.2.4.jar
Attempting to extract: xmlbeans-2.4.0.jar
Attempting to extract: XmlSchema-1.4.2.jar
Attempting to extract: xstream-1.4.2.jar
Attempting to extract: axis2-adb-1.4.1.jar
Attempting to extract: bcprov-jdk15on-150.jar
Attempting to extract: bcpkix-jdk15on-150.jar
adding jar to classpath: ZENUpdater.jar
Executed command {[/opt/novell/zenworks/bin/zac, cl]} : exit value = {255}, error = {none.}
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at com.novell.zenworks.systemupdate.zenupdater.Embedd edJarClassLoader.findClass(EmbeddedJarClassLoader. java:48)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at com.novell.zenworks.systemupdate.zenupdater.Embedd edJarClassLoader.loadClass(EmbeddedJarClassLoader. java:58)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at com.novell.zenworks.cache.JavaDBUtil.LoadDriver(Ja vaDBUtil.java:245)
at com.novell.zenworks.cache.JavaDBEntryInfoProvider. <init>(JavaDBEntryInfoProvider.java:33)
at com.novell.zenworks.cache.BaseCache.<init>(BaseCac he.java:26)
at com.novell.zenworks.cache.ObjectCache.<init>(Objec tCache.java:38)
at com.novell.zenworks.cache.ZenCache.<init>(ZenCache .java:50)
at com.novell.zenworks.cache.ZenCache.getInstance(Zen Cache.java:67)
at com.novell.zenworks.cache.ZenCacheFactory.GetObjec t(ZenCacheFactory.java:31)
at com.novell.zenworks.systemupdate.net.ProxyParser.g etDefaultProxyConfig(ProxyParser.java:284)
at com.novell.zenworks.systemupdate.net.ProxyParser.g etProxy(ProxyParser.java:82)
at com.novell.zenworks.systemupdate.zenupdater.ZENUpd ater.parseHttpProxy(ZENUpdater.java:437)
at com.novell.zenworks.systemupdate.zenupdater.ZENUpd ater.main(ZENUpdater.java:259)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.novell.zenworks.systemupdate.zenupdater.BootSt rapper.main(BootStrapper.java:41)
computed proxy - null
]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[1]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1510808330621]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[ExecuteZENUpdaterConfigureAction complete!]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[2]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1510808330649]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo /></Message>

2017:
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[zenupdater completed.Embedded JARs will be extracted to: /tmp/sux4463349959514444887zen
Attempting to extract: activation-1.1.1.jar
Attempting to extract: axiom-api-1.2.7.jar
Attempting to extract: axiom-impl-1.2.7.jar
Attempting to extract: axis2-kernel-1.4.1.jar
Attempting to extract: backport-util-concurrent-3.1.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-codec-1.3.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-httpclient-3.1.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
Attempting to extract: commons-io-1.4.jar
Attempting to extract: geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0.1.jar
Attempting to extract: jdom-1.0.jar
Attempting to extract: jsap-2.1.jar
Attempting to extract: neethi-2.0.4.jar
Attempting to extract: system-update-updater-17.0.0.jar
Attempting to extract: system-update-utilities-17.0.0.jar
Attempting to extract: wsdl4j-1.6.2.jar
Attempting to extract: wstx-asl-3.2.4.jar
Attempting to extract: xmlbeans-2.4.0.jar
Attempting to extract: XmlSchema-1.4.2.jar
Attempting to extract: xstream-1.4.2.jar
Attempting to extract: axis2-adb-1.4.1.jar
Attempting to extract: bcprov-jdk15on-150.jar
Attempting to extract: bcpkix-jdk15on-150.jar
Attempting to extract: derby-10.4.2.0.jar
adding jar to classpath: ZENUpdater.jar
Executed command {[/opt/novell/zenworks/bin/zac, cl]} : exit value = {255}, error = {none.}
computed proxy - null
]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[1]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1510815635078]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[ExecuteZENUpdaterConfigureAction complete!]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[2]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1510815635121]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo /></Message>

So did an itchy cancel finger cost me the upgrade, or was I actually dead in the water because the ZENUpdater failed to start?

thanks
Chris