Hello everybody!

I'm trying to upgrade a ZENWorks 11.3.2 (running on SLES 11 SP4, I know, not really supported, I don't know who upgraded the OS, wasn't me for sure ^^).

I've run into quite some trouble, and had a look at many forum posts, which, unfortunately, were closed but never had a concluding answer in them, all three of them I found for this topic ended with some user asking a question that never got a reply.

The posts I'm talking about:

1) https://forums.novell.com/showthread...to-11sp4-hangs

2) https://forums.novell.com/showthread...on-SLES-11-SP4

3) https://forums.novell.com/showthread...90#post2437490

Post 1) was concluded by the assumption that some .jar file was missing, which is not the cause of the error described there: "Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException" + "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class". However, this error doesn't really seem to be about a .jar file missing, it goes away when applying my solution to 2) and 3).

The admin in 2) was faced with the same seemingly java-related error; there, the "solution" was to trick the installer into thinking it runs on SLES 11 SP3 by editing the /etc/os-release and /etc/SuSE-release files. The last poster in this one say that didn't work for them, and they never got a reply.

The admin in 3) was faced with the "Error occurred while executing configure action SetEnvironmentConfigureAction", the "solution" there is to edit the two aforementioned files too, but the last post states that didn't resolve the admin's issue, after that the post is simply closed.

The real solution to the problem is not to edit /etc/os-release and /etc/SuSE-release, but to move the two files to trash for the duration of the installation. Then, the installer runs without the errors mentioned in posts 1-3. The files can be moved back to their original places after installation.
Just wanted to write that here in detail so people being in the same situation as me, trying to google for a solution, don't find posts that are a dead end but find that they have to move those files to trash instead of editing them.

That was the first part of my post, I still didn't manage to upgrade successfully (which, even though SLES 11 SP4 is not supported for ZEN 11.3.x, should be feasible, as ZEN 11SP4 definitely is supported on SLES 11SP4, and also, Mr Mirko Guldner in post 2) said Novell support was able to resolve his issue).

The installer in my case runs quite "far", until the point when it says "Sybase database is being upgraded". Then it says "Upgrade completed with errors."

The log (ZENworks_Install_10_Feb_2018_21.36.12.log.xml) says:

<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[Error while stopping service : ZEN_MONITOR]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[4]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1518294972104]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[Error while stopping service : ZEN_SERVER]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[4]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1518294981232]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[Error while stopping service : ZEN_LOADER]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[4]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1518294982302]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[Error while stopping service : PREBOOT_SERVICE]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[4]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1518294992477]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[Error while stopping service : PREBOOT_POLICY_SERVICE]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[4]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1518294992503]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[Error while stopping service : TFTP_SERVICE]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[4]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1518294992534]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>
<Message><MessageID><![CDATA[0000]]></MessageID><MessageString><![CDATA[Error while stopping service : PDHCP_SERVICE]]></MessageString><Severity><![CDATA[4]]></Severity><Time><![CDATA[1518294992552]]></Time><Source><![CDATA[Unknown Device]]></Source><ComponentName><![CDATA[Server Install]]></ComponentName><AdditionalInfo></AdditionalInfo></Message>

Unfortunately, I'm at a loss here. I have no idea why the installer would fail to stop the services mentioned in the log, googling those error messages didn't get me any result whatsoever.

Anyone here who can help me and have at least an educated guess at why the installer would fail to stop the ZEN services?

Thanks!

Peter