Hi All,

I hope this is the right spot for this question. I am not sure if this is a bug or a setting that needs to be tweaked.

I have one user that gets meeting appointments from GM and another user that gets different appointments from FCA. Each user has another person in the company that also gets an appointment invitation. One person gets the meeting request as a calendar object and the other gets plain text. iCAL is enabled on the SMTP option on the GWIA's.

The email is coming from Exchange users running outlook.

When I look at the SMTP "Message Source" I see a difference with both users that are complaining.

The appointment that works has my internal user defined as "Elvis Presley" <elvisp@company.com>
The appointment that fails to work has my intern user defined as "Richard Simmons (clownman@company.com)" <clownman@company.com>

I had the one user tell company XYZ to not use the contact but make a calendar test to clownman@company.com and for the first time in years they were able to see the message as a calendar request.

I have tried to look and search to see if this is a known bug. Is there an official place to search for bugs? If this is not a bug is there a workaround? From what I see I cannot tell the customer to not use the Outlook Personal Address book and I should not be trying to tell the customer how to make address book entries so they can communicate with our company. From what I have seen in the RFC of SMTP is that anything inside the " " should not change how email is sent or who it is sent to.

Any suggestions and direction will be welcomed, this is my first post! :-)

Thanks,
Joe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address

Syntax

The format of email addresses is local-part@domain where the local part may be up to 64 characters long and the domain may have a maximum of 255 characters[2]. The formal definitions are in RFC 5322 (sections 3.2.3 and 3.4.1) and RFC 5321with a more readable form given in the informational RFC 3696[3] and the associated errata. Note that unlike the syntax of RFC 1034[4] and RFC 1035[5], there is no trailing period in the domain name.
Local-part

The local-part of the email address may use any of these ASCII characters:

uppercase and lowercase Latin letters A to Z and a to z;
digits 0 to 9;
special characters !#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{|}~;

dot ., provided that it is not the first or last character unless quoted, and provided also that it does not appear consecutively unless quoted (e.g. John..Doe@example.com is not allowed but "John..Doe"@example.com is allowed);[6]

Note that some mail servers wildcard local parts, typically the characters following a plus and less often the characters following a minus, so fred+bah@domain and fred+foo@domain might end up in the same inbox as fred+@domain or even as fred@domain. This can be useful for tagging emails for sorting, see below, and for spam control. Braces { and } are also used in that fashion, although less often.

space and "(),:;<>@[\] characters are allowed with restrictions (they are only allowed inside a quoted string, as described in the paragraph below, and in addition, a backslash or double-quote must be preceded by a backslash);
comments are allowed with parentheses at either end of the local-part; e.g. john.smith(comment)@example.com and (comment)john.smith@example.com are both equivalent to john.smith@example.com.

In addition to the above ASCII characters, international characters above U+007F, encoded as UTF-8, are permitted by RFC 6531, though even mail systems that support SMTPUTF8 and 8BITMIME may restrict which characters to use when assigning local-parts.

A local part is either a Dot-string or a Quoted-string; it cannot be a combination. Quoted strings and characters however, are not commonly used.[citation needed] RFC 5321 also warns that "a host that expects to receive mail SHOULD avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or uses) the Quoted-string form".