Home

Thread: force iOS Software Update

Hybrid View

force iOS Software Update

Can I force an installation of an iOS-Update with ZMM? I read here, that it is possible for supervised devices in the MS-Product "intunes". https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/int...re-updates-ios
    If so, how can I do this?

Thank you. Heiko

Re: force iOS Software Update

As of now, with ZCM it is not possible to force iOS update. However, it is there on our roadmap.

Vikram

Quote Originally Posted by hschoene View Post
    Can I force an installation of an iOS-Update with ZMM? I read here, that it is possible for supervised devices in the MS-Product "intunes". https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/int...re-updates-ios
    If so, how can I do this?

Thank you. Heiko

Thank you, Vikram, do you know, it is the same with ZMM(Zenworks Mobile Management), not ZCM?

Thanks Heiko

The answer to your question depends on which ZMM version you are using. Are you utilizing the stand-alone ZENworks Mobile Management server or are you using the MDM functionality built into ZENworks Configuration Management 2017? This functionality is not yet possible in ZCM 2017 at this time. However, it is possible in the stand-alone ZMM version if your devices are in Supervised Mode. Though even when in supervised mode, the iOS upgrade is pushed out on an individual device basis and not something you can do globally or for a group of devices.

In stand-alone ZMM, if a device is supervised, you can go under Users - Select the user/device in question - Device Profile - Under the Device Information Tab where it shows you the iOS version that is used, it will appear as a drop-down menu and a new OS version can be selected to push out. As I mentioned, this is on a device specific basis and cannot be done globally or in groups. Also, the iOS version that shows up in the drop-down menu is dependent upon what updates have been recognized on the device already. Meaning if the device itself hasn't recognized that the iOS update is available, it will not reflect in the dashboard. The ZMM dashboard only reflects what the device itself has reported it being capable of updating to. Additionally, when a device is multiple iOS versions behind, it will not allow incremental updates. It will only show the latest iOS version available for the device.