I didn't open an SR. We license our Micro Focus products through the SLA contract and would have to purchase an SR separately in order to be able to open one, even if it would likely later be refunded. I could go through our reseller and see if they could open an SR on our behalf to get the patch, or try to get a copy from someone else who already has it, but with the start of school approaching and other projects that need to be completed, I'm going to leave this server on OES 2015 SP1 for now and hold off on any further OES 2018 upgrades until SP1 is out.

I just figured that I should post the link to the new TID in the thread so that anyone looking through the forums for a solution to their sudden SLP problems after upgrading to OES 2018 would find it.