Thank you for your help!

I was not seeing the modify which was the issue. After tracing out a workflow that was working, I did find the eventual issue. When I had to rebuild my Designer workspace I must not have pulled the latest code deploy for that workflow, which another co-worker built (who is no longer here). The entity modify javascript wasn't complete. It was missing a few lines that I hadn't noticed when I did a quick visual compare.

Lesson learned, I should have taken the extra time up front to use the XMLDiff from Oxygen XML and compare the export from dev to the export from prod instead of jumping to reading traces.